Monday, July 25, 2016

Zendaya Wants Boys to Wear Her New Line of Shoes Too

Touching base with the new designer.


It's part of the postmodern American dream: Conquer Hollywood. Dominate Instagram. Launch your own clothing line. And while Zendaya is hardly a "typical" starlet (see: social justice activism, political awareness, swapping her birthday presents for charity outreach), she's forging ahead with a shoe brand, available now at Nordstrom.
Called Daya by Zendaya, the range boasts 12 styles from $80 (for flats) to $110 (for cutout block-heel boots). And good news: they're damn cute.
We spoke with the actress, singer, and master Tweeter about her new label, her Spidermanrole, and when to shut off your phone.

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen began their line with t-shirts. Victoria Beckham's first design project was denim. Why did you pick shoes as a first step?

I guess you could say it's a controlled place to start. I didn't want to give myself too much to quickly. When you begin with clothes, you've got tops, pants, dresses—so many layers! I wanted to keep it a little more specific. Plus I'm obsessed with shoes.

How are these shoes different?

Because the price point and the quality are very rare. I don't want people thinking, "I got the look for less." I want them thinking, "I got the look!" You know what I'm saying?

Totally. But you can get "the look" no matter what, right?

But I was very inspired by working women, and also women who aren't working yet! I want them to have shoes that feel luxurious and special and well-crafted and thought about. But also, they should have shoes that won't break the bank. You don't have to spend three years saving up for beautiful shoes.

Who are the women in your life that inspired the collection?

My older sister is a working mom. She's busy. She chooses to spend money on her children. But she should be able to afford a good shoe for herself. My older niece is a college student. She's going to start going on job interviews, and she needs a really good pair of shoes. My little nieces haven't learned how to walk in heels yet, but they will. And they'll need good ones. But it's not just for women. Boys will be rocking my heels too, you know what I'm saying?

Yes!!!

So these shoes are inspired by real people. And they deserve quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment